Gender Discrimination Persuasive Speech Outline
- Attention material: What is Gender Discrimination? Gender discrimination (or Sexism) refers to unequal treatment of the other sex by a member of one gender, in particular, the unequal treatment of a female by a male, inequality between the sexes, or gender discrimination in society, but it can also be used to refer to any kind of discrimination on the gender basis.
- Tie to audience: As I am talking here, I know that some of you may think you have not exactly experienced gender discrimination before. But really? Have you ever thought about why a woman marries a man, and changes her family name into the one of her husband. Plus, why do male skin care products and advertisements are far less than the ones for a woman? Thus, I dare to say that you are actually experiencing gender discrimination.
- Credibility material: To be honest, I experienced gender discrimination when I was a little girl. As I have previously introduced myself, I was a sickly child. My parents were poor and busy with their business; they did not have enough money to hire a babysitter to take care of me. So they took care of me by themselves, they took me to their workplace and let me sleep by the side of the kitchen’s door; unfortunately, I was almost died because of gas poisoning. After that, my parents asked for my grandmother's help to take care of me, but at first my grandmother had refused, until her eldest son asked her to take care of me. My grandmother said she had not helped to take care of my elder brothers before, why would she take care of me. This is all because I am a girl. From my grandmother's generation, people think boys are always more important than girls. Moreover, this kind of thought still common in my hometown at the countryside.
- Thesis statement and preview of main points: Gender discrimination, which is due to various reasons includes a variety of consequences, can be reduced in a number of ways. So today, I will introduce you the main definition and a look at gender discrimination and inequality, major consequences and problems related to this phenomenon, and a proposed solution to solving the problem of unequal treatment.
- Transition: Around the world, there are many victims of gender-based discrimination by the opposite sex. Now the question is ... how we stop it? This issue is a huge problem, if we are aware of this, we can work together to put an end to these heinous acts.
Main Point #1 - Need
Before introducing the origin and nature of the problem, it should be admitted that discrimination in general is a subtle phenomenon, which is not always evident or tangible in society since very often people refuse to acknowledge the fact and detect inequality. Nonetheless, it has a negative influence on people, particularly those who suffer from discrimination, underscoring the status of being psychologically tortured. Hence, discrimination should still be recognized as an explicit issue, which should be considered with greater attention.
Statement of Need for Action
Description of the problem
According to Roscigno (2007), “U.S. society believes that we have simply moved beyond the era of differential treatment toward minorities and women” (p. 2). In this respect, the claims of discrimination attract attention and tend to be ignored, except for the increased sensitivity expressed by minority groups. Currently, women who are not satisfied with their position of being less important in the professional sphere, tend to enter this terrain because of the opportunity to get recognition in the world, which has been previously considered as the male one.
Signs, symptoms, and effects of the problem
When it concern gender discrimination, attention should be paid to both the workplace and home life. Specifically, gender discrimination in the workplace is less evident because of its implicit nature and difficulty in proving that both male and female can fit the profession considered as stereotyped or designed purely for men or women. For instance, several decades ago, some supervising positions were taken by men predominantly because of the false stereotypes concerning the roles, which should be taken by women as wives and mothers.
Example, narrative or testimony
Recent research studies have focused on differences in wages and professions in terms of gender. In particular, Roscingo (2007) provides an example of the research regarding the most popular positions occupied by women. In 2000, it was reported that such positions as nurses, secretaries, and schoolteachers were occupied by women, whereas men took predominantly the positions of truck drivers, salespersons, and retail managers. Therefore, such occupations point to the level of gender inequality or segregation, which remains evident, particularly among women. These examples can also concern anyone. Thus, while deliberating on one’s professional occupation, a person can make the corresponding conclusions.
Importance of the Problem
Extent of the problem
On the one hand, the problem of gender discrimination is not serious because society has accommodated to these norms and believes it to be normal that women and men take certain positions. However, the problem can still occur when women tend to overcome the stereotypes and take, for example, the position of an executive manager or even a taxi driver.
Apart from the limited opportunities in terms of career promotion, there are many other essential problems which can come to the forth in the workplace related to gender discrimination. It particularly concerns sexual harassment. As a proof, Wolfson, Palumbo, Lindgren, and Taub (2010) have introduced facts and testimonies of the victims of unequal treatment in the workplace. Specifically, the case of Anita Hill was the first occasion when a hidden accident was detected. The law professor confessed that Clarence Thomas, a Supreme Court nominee, had harassed her in sexual terms in the 1980s when she worked as a supervisor. The very fact of non-detection shows the previous norms and stereotypes regarding the female’s position in the working environment.
In general, there are also many other testimonies and facts regarding the unequal treatment of males and females. Emphasis should also be placed on the cases of domestic violence.
Who is Affected
In the majority of cases, the major victims are females but not males because they often have limited educational, professional, and other opportunities (Wolfson et al., 2010). They are physically weaker, and, therefore, they often become victims of domestic and sexual violence.
You have probably experienced similar attitudes, but do not pay specific attention to them. For instance, when you search for a specific job position, you often come across gender specifications. For instance, secretaries are usually young women until thirty with a pleasant appearance. If you want to apply for an IT manager, there are much more chances for a male applicant to get a job. All these examples are accepted and do not provoke indignation.
Transition to main point 2: The evidence presented above that gender discrimination is a heavily discussed issue, which should further be considered to provide new solutions and options. In particular, the case of gender discrimination should be tackled at different levels.
Main Point #2 (Present Solution that Satisfies the Need)
Description of a Solution
How the solution satisfies the need
Currently, there are positive changes in the sphere of professional accomplishments for both males and females due to the feminist movements and minority protests. Specifically, more and more positions are taken by women, and vice verse men start respecting women as personalities, but not according to their sex affiliation. Nonetheless, there is still distribution of roles, which would satisfy both parts of the debates.
How the solution can be implemented
- 1. Plan of action
The plan of action should be based on the reforms on the state and local levels, as well as on the level of a trade union, which should protect the rights of their employees regardless of their gender affiliation.
- 2. Steps of the plan
The first step will be the development of the code of ethics within an organization, in which transparency and equality are two major points which are valued while hiring employees. Managers should test their workers regardless of their gender or race, or other features related to their personal background. Instead, professionalism, personal qualities, and skills should come to the fore.
The second program should provide competition among male and female candidates to show that the company is not gender-prejudiced.
Transition to main point 3: The current issues of gender discrimination provoke new debates and discussions, as well as necessitate a search for new alternatives and solutions that would balance gender discrimination and feminist movements, as well as reduce the consequences of this problem.
Main Point #3 (Visualize Results)
Describe Expected Results of Action
New programs and schemes in managing people should not refer to their sex, but to their abilities, skills, and perceptions. Training programs and new methods of evaluating skills should show that female roles are wives and mothers will not be taken into account. It also means that they will not get any advantage because of this status and should compete equally with men. The problem is that not all women are ready for this change.
Describe Consequences of Inaction
The inaction will provide similar results and will leave the perception of the gender situation unchanged.
Transition: You should understand that there are many other alternatives, which can be used in the situation to ensure that these actions are discussed properly.
As you can see from the examples and statistics, the problem of gender discrimination is a serious one because it can lead to harassment, educational and professional obstacles for women and men.
The discussion shows that there are common, stereotypical professions for men and women separately, which do not allow one sex to occupy positions usually held by the other because it is not accepted in society.
Tie Back to Audience
So, you should understand that the above-presented recommendations play an important role in ameliorating the current state of sex inequality.
Gender discrimination will have serious consequences for the development of wrong stereotypes in society. At the same time, the feminist movement should not be developed further because it can also destroy the traditional views of family relations.